Locum Tenens – The Role of and Billing for the Substitute Provider
If your physician needs a break because of COVID-19, a family vacation or to take time off for a new addition to the family, Locum Tenens is the concept of substituting for your physician with another physician.
As is often the case, first we look to Medicare for their rules on the topic of Locum Tenens. Medicare made major changes to the Locum Tenens section of the Manual in the last couple of years. Understanding those changes and the sometimes complex billing and documentation requirements for Medicare patients is a start. Researching and implementing the policies of other insurance carriers is the next step in making sure your office has compliant documentation in patient’s charts as well as other documentation carriers may require. Locum Tenens is not as simple as putting a modifier on a claim when another physician sees patients in your office. Compliant documentation, tracking and knowing who can perform these “substitute provider” services is an important part of the process and will be explained during this webinar.
- Length of the life of a Locums physician
- What paper trail Medicare mandates be kept
- Identifying any restrictions placed on your “substitute” physician by the insurance carriers
- This will avoid jeopardizing their work or your payment for those services will ensure a smooth transition into and out of their time with your practice
- Documentation of services provided under the Locum Tenens concept is an important step in the compliance process
- The technical aspects of how to bill for their services from carriers is next. What numbers go in which boxes and which modifiers are appropriate
- FAQ from Medicare MAC’s to address common questions
- Who can be a locums tenens provider?
- Length a locums physician is allowed to provide services per Medicare
- Are there exceptions?
- Do other carriers have restrictions?
- Medicare specific rules
- Documentation guidelines
- Master list of patients
- Incident to services
- Claim specific information
- Other insurance carriers
- How to research
- What do to if there are not answers
Who Should Attend
- Office Managers
- Practice Mangers
Jill M. Young
|Dec 02, 2021||2022 CPT Updates||60 Mins||$199.00|
|Oct 19, 2021||2022 ICD 10 CM Diagnostic Coding Updates||60 Mins||$199.00|
|Mar 30, 2021||Clinical Plagiarism – Is Your Provider's Documentation Putting Your Practice at Risk?||60 Mins||$199.00|
|Jan 28, 2021||Medicare Updates for 2021||60 Mins||$199.00|
|Dec 10, 2020||CPT Coding Updates For 2021||60 Mins||$199.00|
|Oct 29, 2020||Billing for Incident-to and Split Shared Visit Services by Non-Physician Practitioners||60 Mins||$159.00|
|Oct 15, 2020||Nuts & Bolts of Coding, Billing & Documentation for COVID-19: What We Know Today!||60 Mins||$199.00|